Senior Backend Developer
Seattle, WA (Hybrid)
Across every industry, businesses operate on customer and third party data. The volumes and types of data that need to be shared have grown exponentially. However, customer and partner data cleanup continues to be expensive, involving a ton of developer time, custom code, and coordination across teams.
With AI-powered data transformations, Osmos makes data ingestion easy, fast, and error-free. We help frontline teams rapidly activate customers and partners by automating the cleanup of messy data while improving incoming data quality.
Osmos is on a mission to empower implementation and operations teams to handle data ingestion as they’re the teams with the business context of this incoming data. Join us as we work to create a world where anyone can work with data regardless of technical proficiency.
We are looking for backend developers who care about the people using their software and the people they work with. You are innovative, adaptable, and have strong leadership qualities allowing you to work collaboratively across teams to mentor less senior staff. To be successful at this position you must be a self-starter, take accountability, speak up, work at a quick pace, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously while keeping a good sense of humor. You must possess good verbal and written communication skills and be able to collaborate effectively with other team members. You’ll contribute ideas and provide feedback to continually improve the way we innovate.
- Architect, design and develop critical features and components in Rust
- Collaborate across the organization to build and evolve platform and application capabilities with the technical vision and product and business needs
- Help to foster an environment of open communication, creative thinking, problem solving, and cohesive team effort
- Designing, building, and operating maintainable and scalable services
- Mentoring junior engineers - in effect, scaling the team as well as the software
Requirements to excel in this role:
Software design & scoping - designing systems for customer needs, and breaking down large systems into incrementally deliverable plans.
Testable and reliable software development - Our customers rely on our software as a critical part of their processes. We have a high quality bar that we are constantly striving to raise.
Rust experience - Our backend is built entirely in Rust, so you must have some experience with Rust or similar modern, memory-safe languages + a willingness and ability to learn Rust quickly.
Distributed systems - Experience building and scaling systems that are highly available, widely distributed across clouds, and can maintain high performance over large time periods and large volumes of data. Understanding consistency, transaction handling etc is a must.
Experience building, deploying, and running services and infrastructure in the cloud - some technologies we use:
- Rust (Tokio, Tower, Axum), gRPC (Tonic), Protocol Buffers (Prost)
- Terraform, Kubernetes
- Cloud platforms: GCP (GKE, BigQuery), Azure
- Postgres (Diesel, Sqlx, SeaQuery)
Desirable, but not required skills:
- Interest or experience in ML/AI technologies
Our core values:
- We act with integrity: We do the right thing every time, even if it means we fail.
- We are customer obsessed: When we obsess over customers, we learn, collaborate, refine, and grow as a product and an organization, while keeping the customers happy. We never leave customers hanging.
- We take ownership and are accountable: We are a high caliber, results oriented team. We take ownership, commit, and execute with a long-term horizon in mind. We don’t leave things half-done. We take accountability and deliver to our commitments.
- We are aware of our societal impact: Our business doesn't exist in a vacuum. Our choices impact the society we live in. Shareholder value means little if our shareholders don't have a survivable planet and a stable, equitable society.
- We thrive in our diversity: We respect everyone's opinions and believe in everyone having a voice in the decisions we make - from office furniture to product strategy. If you have ideas, we want to hear it.
- We dream big, act fast. We can-do: Failure is ok. Aiming low is not. The path to success is usually one among hundreds of paths to failure. We focus on what we can do to stay on the golden path and don't let the cliffs on both sides scare us into inaction. Fail fast and try again.
- We work as a team. No superheroes: To achieve more, we work together and win together, as a team.
We provide the best-in-class benefits to ensure that you are happy, committed, and maintain a work-life balance.
- Competitive compensation: 140k-180k plus stock options
- Full health, vision, and dental benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Paid parental leave
- Visa sponsorship and immigration support
- Dog friendly office close to downtown Seattle
- Hybrid position with flexibility to work from home
- Unlimited discretionary time off
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Quarterly team events
- Top of the line hardware
- Employee referral program
- Full freedom to learn and broaden your horizon in a fast moving environment
We are a fun team of musicians, gamers, artists, travelers, and pet lovers. We are growing rapidly and are backed by top-tier investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, CRV, Pear, Kin, and SV Angel.
Come join us! Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if the opportunity excites you.